There are multiple ways you can install a plugin. Two of the most common ways are via the WordPress dashboard and via FTP.
Installing a plugin from the WordPress dashboard
Follow these steps to install a plugin from your WordPress dashboard. Make sure you are logged in and have the right capabilities to manage plugins.
- Hover over the menu option Plugins, then click on Add New.
- Press the Upload Plugin button.
- Press Choose File and select the plugin zip file.
- Press Open, then press Install Now.
- If the load worked press Activate Now.
If the installation did not work or you see an error after pressing Install Now, you may need to get a new zip file from your plugin provider.
Installing a plugin via FTP
Follow these steps to install a plugin via FTP. To install it via FTP you will need direct access to your web host’s file server. Make sure you have a file transfer program (for example Filezilla) available, and have the correct rights from your hosting provider.
- On your local machine unzip the plugin zip file.
- Log in to your site using FTP or SFTP.
- Upload the extracted folder to the wp-content/plugins/ directory on your site.
- Go to the WordPress Plugins dashboard and Activate the plugin.